Reading Week

Forums
Top 10 issues 2011/12
Teaching
Reading Week

Reading Week

Just wondering why reading week isn't compulsory across all subjects/modules? Some of my lecturers have decided to hold off lectures this week, which is apparently reading week, whilst others are holding the break next week. Some aren't bothering at all! It just ends up being pointless to usually have 11-6pm days, and then only be coming in for one class!

Any chance of resolving this and making it one universal practice or scrapping it altogether?!

Re: Reading Week

This is a really interesting issue.  A few departments (all in the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences I believe) have a reading week, but it is fairly uncommon.  

As far as I was aware, in departments with reading weeks it applies across all modules, so student s have the entire week clear and no annoying timetable gaps, however, this is clearly not the case for all students.  I am guessing (but would love to be corrected) that the modules that had breaks were from Politics, Languages and International Studies (PoLIS) rather than Social Policy Sciences?

Any further feedback would be appreciated, and I'm sure Matt Benka (VP Education) will raise this with academic reps to get there views!  For there the SU will see what we can do.

David

SU President