There’s no need to rush for your private sector student housing
Most of the private rentals for students will be advertised in January 2022. Before Christmas, we'll be launching our annual housing campaign with Bath Spa: 'Think Before You Ink', with tips to help you make the right decision & find a house you'll be happy in.
Our 5 top tips for house hunting:
1. Join one of our Housing Forums in November 2021.
The University Living Support Officer & Students' Union Advice Team will be on hand to guide you through:
- Searching for Accommodation & Housemates
- What to look out for on viewings
- Upfront Costs, Contracts & Repairs
- Living in the Community & Safety
- Where to go for help & advice
2. Studentpad will launch at the start of December 2021.
Studentpad is the official University of Bath website for property searching, take a look here. Properties to rent over the 2022/23 academic year will launched around December/January time. Don't panic if it doesn't look like there are many listings to begin with.
3. Look out for details of the Housemate Finder events in November 2021.
We'll publish more details here when the dates are confirmed.
4. Safety is important when you view a house.
In-person viewings are preferable as it's easier to see any issues. Is there damp in the corner? Are alarms installed? Are the windows double glazed? Make sure if you do a virtual viewing you ask these questions. We encourage you to wait and this may provide the opportunity for yourself or one of your housemates to view the property. Some agencies and landlords are advertising already, but many are not so expect more houses to come onto the market in Semester 2.
5. ‘Think before you Ink’ campaign will be launching shortly, a joint campaign with Bath Spa to provide you the prefect tool kit to make the right decisions when choosing your house in the private sector.
There are a lot of things to consider before you sign a contract, whether you are moving out of halls, or already living in private sector accommodation, the SU and University want to help you to make the right decision.
View our Finding Accomodation pages for further information.