What is 'The SU'?
You may have heard students or staff referring to something called 'The SU', and wondered what that means. The SU stands for The Students' Union, and we look after everything to do with your student experience beyond your academic study. This includes student societies, sports, arts, volunteering, advice, peer mentoring, our bar and club (which we call The Plug & Tub) and student voice. Most universities in The UK will have a Students' Union and we are here to support you throughout your time at Bath.
As an international student, you can access all parts of The SU and get involved in everything we offer, but this page is specifically for you and contains lots of information about settling into the UK, upcoming events, how to access support and much more!
Top Tips for Living in the UK
When you come to the UK to study, there are many things which might be new to you - from the language to the weather to the food! The University has created a guidance blog for 'Living in the UK'. This contains information about shopping, healthcare, money, banking and much more.
- Perfecto International Supermarket sells a wide range of food from all around the world.
- There are several Asian supermarkets in Bath, including Friends Forever, Hai Na and Hondo Chinese Supermarket.
- Smak Polski is a shop dedicated to Polish food.
- There are some online shops which sell Kosher and Halal produce, including Just Kosher, Healthy Halal and The Halal Foodshop.
Check out more places to eat in Bath!
Signposting and Support
The University and The SU have a number of services designed to support you as an international student at Bath:
- Advice & Support Centre - offer specialist and independent support with academic processes, housing and personal issues. Advisors are available Monday - Friday between 10:00 and 15:30.
- Student Immigration Service - offers immigration advice to help students apply for and maintain visas.
- Support & Report Tool - all staff, students, and visitors can report discrimination, misconduct, harassment or assault by using this tool. You can report anonymously or get support from an adviser.
- Studying at Bath as an International Student - this page contains lots of important information about studying at Bath.
As an international student at Bath, you can get involved in everything we do as an SU, but there are some specific things you might like to be involved with:
- Faith and Cultural Societies - we have a number of SU groups dedicated to different faiths and cultures, where you can meet and socialise with people of the same religion or nationality as you.
- International Executive Committee - this a group of elected students who represent the international student voice at Bath.
Blogs and Stories
We would love to hear about your experience of being an international student! Please get in touch with email@example.com if you would like to share your story.
Check out this student's story - How to Navigate Life as an Under 18, International Student
Events in The SU
Your SU Community Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org