Casual Administrator (Doctoral Engagement Ambassador):
The Doctoral College supports the University’s research strategy and its ambition to establish Bath as an international leader in graduate education. Through the Doctoral College’s commitment to ‘stage-specific support’ we focus on how we can improve the early experience of students through the period of induction and subsequently through the doctoral journey.
This is an exciting and varied role supporting core doctoral engagement events and activities to enhance the overall experience of those undertaking doctoral study. The role is crucial in helping to build an active interdisciplinary community of doctoral students and will be responsible to the Doctoral Engagement Manager and supported by the Training and Events Administrator of the Doctoral College.
Duties of the role include:
Supporting doctoral student induction activities throughout the year by:
- Supporting and presenting at the Doctoral College student induction workshop: Starting your doctorate: An introduction to doctoral study at the University of Bath.
- Representing and presenting at departmental and DTE induction programmes, as well as at taught residential programmes for our professional doctorate students.
- Leading campus tours (where required) for new students to assist with orientation at the University
- Welcoming and interacting with new students at networking and social events arranged as part of doctoral student induction
- To assist with any other duties that involve engagement with new students to make them feel welcomed to the University.
Facilitating activities that are designed to support building an interdisciplinary doctoral community. This will involve:
- Facilitating our weekly Cake in the Commons activity. This will involve, but not limited to, set up and pack up, engaging with other researchers, as well as facilitating activities to keep the event engaging for others.
- Sharing your own experiences of your doctorate with others by contributing to our blog programme
- Supporting other related activities that are designed to support community building as directed by the Doctoral College.
Acting as a Doctoral College ambassador and providing event support at Doctoral College events throughout the year. This may include:
- Supporting the preparation and delivery of various Doctoral College events throughout the year, e.g. Doctoral Welcome Reception and Information Fair.
- Supporting any promotional campaigns, representing the Doctoral College, and communicating the purpose of the Doctoral College to other doctoral researchers.
Supportin doctoral recruitment activities. This may involve:
- Representing the Doctoral College at recruitment activities such as recruitment fairs and virtual open days
- Supporting other recruitment related activities throughout the year.
Occasionally, you may be required to undertake other duties of a similar nature as reasonably required by your line manager.
The listed duties should give you a flavour of the type of activities you could get involved with. Doctoral Engagement Ambassadors will be able to choose the type of work they are interested in and will be given a full briefing.
Please click here for the Person Specification for the role.
Location and hours of work:
This is a casual contract and work will be offered on an ad-hoc basis. You will be able to sign up to shifts that fit around your own commitments. It is likely that more work will be available around key induction periods: September, October, January, April and July. Cake in the Commons is every Friday at 10:30 – 11:30.
Work may, occasionally, be outside of regular hours and there may also be some off-campus working.
In deciding if this is an appropriate opportunity for you, you should ensure that it will not adversely impact on your studies or breach any relevant conditions of funding. Tier 4 visa holders will also need to ensure that they do not breach the conditions of their visa: http://www.bath.ac.uk/visa/staff/work-requirements/index.html.
How to apply:
You should apply by sending an up to date CV and Covering Letter (no more than 1 side of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why you want this position and how you meet the person specification.
Please use the following as in the subject of your email: APPLICATION - Doctoral Engagement Ambassador (Your name).
Note: We recruit on a rolling basis meaning we accept applications at any time. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a short interview