Welcome to The Edge!
The Edge is the University’s on-campus arts venue, now managed by the SU. Home to the SU Arts team alongside other SU staff, the Edge offers multiple performance, rehearsal and creative spaces where students can get involved with and enjoy the arts! The cafe/bar is also a lively area to grab a drink and catch up with friends. The building is currently playing a vital role as a test centre for the University's COVID testing programme and is therefore operating a little differently than before. Find out more about our spaces below, or contact email@example.com for more info.
Find out more about what’s happening in the Arts here!
Solo Practice Spaces at The Edge
SU Arts is delighted to announce that the Edge is now open for individual practice from Tuesday 20th April! Book hour slots in Edge spaces to de-stress, play our pianos, practice your instrument or sing, and take a bit of time for your creative and mental wellbeing.
Open between 9am - 5.30pm, rooms can be booked by signing up for Edge Membership here, and then emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your booking request. Please note:
- You must pre-book a practice space, please do not access the building without making a prior booking
- Students can book one hour maximum of practice space per day
- The spaces may only have one student in them at a time
- You must submit your booking request by 4.30pm the working day before your booking or it will not be processed
- You must ensure you have an email confirmation of your booking before you can access the space
Rooms available are:
- Digital Studio (bookable via MusicSoc)
- Amp Room (bookable via MusicSoc)
- Fine Art Studio
- Music Practice Room 1
- Music Practice Room 2
- Buchan Solo Practice Room
- Ensemble Room
- Choral Practice Room
- Dance Studio
Please read the below information about how to access and use our rooms safely, particularly as the Edge is still being used as a Covid-19 test centre (handy for when you've got a room booked!).
How to access rehearsal rooms:
- Access to Edge rooms is via the side door to the left of the main entrance. Please use the hand sanitiser at the bottom of the stairs
- Go straight up the stairs to the practice rooms on Level 2. Please let us know when you book if you will need to access via the lift
- Library card access to the room you have booked will be automatically granted for your booking slot.
- If library card access does not work, please knock on the office door and a member of staff can let you into your room. This is a new system so if you have persistent problems with this please let us know via the SU Arts email
- You must wear a mask while in the building until you are in your individual room
How to use the room:
- Please use the cleaning products in the room to disinfect surfaces and the door handle at the start AND at the end of your practice slot
- Be mindful of others and leave the room tidy, taking any rubbish with you.
- Please leave at your scheduled time – we need to leave a 30-minute gap between all practices to allow the room to ventilate
When exiting the building:
- Leave via the route you came in and do not go through the foyer
- Wear a mask
Room Booking Guide
Individual Rehearsal Risk Assessment
The Edge theatre seats 220 people, and has held regular performances by many societies, groups and individuals over the years. Complete with a fully equipped and accessible green room comprising of 3 dressing rooms, toilets and showers, the theatre is well equipped to host performances across music, theatre and dance, as well as film screenings.
The Weston Studio is a fully equipped and flexible performance studio which provides an alternative creative space for performances, rehearsals, workshops or talks, and can host c.100 people seated.. The studio has retractable tiered seating which enables a number of possible configurations, with a full lighting rig and technical set-up to add something special.
The Fine Art Studio is a stylish space, flooded with natural light and has facilities for different artistic sessions, as well as rehearsals and meetings.
The Dance Studio is a fantastic bright space with a fully sprung floor and far reaching views. It can accommodate a variety of dance disciplines and is perfect for classes, tuition as well as other activities such as yoga and Pilates.
The Digital Studio is equipped with up to date technology, providing opportunities for exploring all digital art forms, including music production, sound generation, animation, digital art, photography, film-making and more. The eleven iMacs are installed with Logic and various open source creative applications. There is also a built in HD projector and speakers for all presentation needs.
The Edge also has multiple piano practice rooms, larger rehearsal rooms, and shower and change facilities.
All levels at The Edge are fully accessible to wheelchair users via our public lift. We also have a hearing assistance system in our Theatre. If you have any additional requirements do let us know.