Opportunity with Leaders Unlocked:
Freelance Project Coordinator for the Wiltshire & Swindon Youth Commission Background Leaders Unlocked is seeking a freelance Project Coordinator in Wiltshire & Swindon to join our team to work on an exciting project to enable young people to influence the strategy for crime and policing in their police force area. The project has started in June 2022 and will run until March 2023.
The ‘Youth Commission on Police and Crime’ aims to enable young people aged 14-25 years to support, challenge and inform the work of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) in their area.
Wiltshire & Swindon Youth Commission is the twelfth in the country. Since 2013 we have established Youth Commissions in partnership with the Police and Crime Commissioners in 15 areas across England and Wales In each of these regions, we have recruited a core team of approximately 25-30 young people to join the Youth Commission on Police and Crime. These young people are acting as an advisory team for their PCC and help to engage other young people in their local areas through a ‘Big Conversation’
The specific project objectives are to:
• Recruit a core group of 25-30 young people aged 14-25 to join the Youth Commission
• Support Youth Commission members to undertake a ‘Big Conversation’ to gather the views of at least 1,800 young people about policing and crime priorities
• Enable the Youth Commission to use their findings to influence the strategy for crime and policing in their region, as partners to the PCC and the police
• Deliver a final Youth Commission conference at which the Youth Commission will launch their findings and recommendations to a high-profile audience of the PCC, senior police officials and partner agencies
Project Coordinator Job Specification
• Be the point of contact for Wiltshire & Swindon Youth Commission members (and their parents/ guardians)
• Deliver youth consultation events in Wiltshire & Swindon, supporting Youth Commission members to play a leading role in gathering views from their peers
• Liaise with local organisations and stakeholders, e.g. colleges and youth organisations
• Manage and maintain a contact database for the project in Wiltshire & Swindon
• Manage and maintain an up-to-date schedule of activity for the Youth Commission in Wiltshire & Swindon
• Coordinate data gathering from the youth consultation activities, collate and submit data to the Project Manager at agreed points
• Report progress in Wiltshire & Swindon to the Project Manager
• Coordinate content (e.g. photographs and blogs) for the website and social media about Youth Commission activity in Wiltshire & Swindon
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes We are looking to recruit an individual who is based in Wiltshire & Swindon for this role and is willing to travel around the region to attend events. This individual should possess the following qualities:
• Strong planning and organisational ability, with excellent attention to detail
• Highly effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
• A strong appetite for working with young people and communities, and proven ability to work effectively with young people
• Good administration and project coordination skills
• Technically competent in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Experience and familiarity with blogging and social networking
• Sensitivity to diversity and an ability to work effectively with people from a range of cultural backgrounds
• Understanding of, and commitment to, the principles behind the Youth Commission on Police and Crime
Please note: The successful candidate will be subject to a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check and vetting as a part of a security clearance prior to appointment.
Education and experience
• Educated to at least degree level or equivalent
• Experience of office-based work in an administrative or
• coordination role
• Experience of working directly with young people and communities
• Experience of working on crime and policing issues would be an advantage
• Experience of research would be an advantage
Location and duration
• This contract lasts from June 2022 to March 2023.
The Project Coordinator will work 100 days over this period (days to be agreed upon appointment).
The Project Coordinator will be asked to work flexibly. The coordinator will need to travel to attend meetings and events across the region and will also need to work from home sometimes.
The Project Coordinator will be paid a fee of £100 per day and will need to invoice Leaders Unlocked at the end of every working month. This fee does not include travel and expenses, which will be claimed in addition, in line with the Leaders Unlocked Expenses Policy.
To apply for this position, or ask any questions, please email your CV and a covering email stating why you are interested in the role, to Kaytea Budd-Brophy at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receiving responses is: Thursday 23rd June 2022.
Interviews to take place on:
Thursday 30th June 2022.
paid travel expenses. Work directly with the PCC for Wiltshire and Swindon and Wiltshire Police Force.