About the role:
*** In order to be considered for this role, you must be an undergraduate student studying a course within the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS) and about to go on placement, or currently on placement. ***
Aimed at prospective applicants and current students, the HSS Placements and Student Blog
looks to provide an insight into various aspects of the placements experience through the eyes of our current placement students. We are looking to recruit a number of students going on placement to produce a range of content such as blogs, photos and videos covering their experience.
Themes could include:
• what it is like to live in a different city/country (if applicable)
• the experience of a professional workplace
• social aspects of doing a professional placement/year abroad
• tips on making the most of the experience
• why you chose a placement course
• skills you’ve gained and lessons you have learned
The posts may be used on the university website, social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram, and in printed materials. You will need to consent to your content being used on thee platforms.
You must submit a minimum of 4 posts during your placement year at Bath (request permission for further posts thereafter). Each post should take around 2.5 hours to produce. While you will be required to work towards rough deadlines, you will be given flexibility to organise your work independently. These roles are available to start immediately, or at the same time as your placement year.
This role is a great way to gain some work experience with marketing and communications, and to enhance your CV. Reflecting on what you’ve achieved and learned is also a useful exercise no matter what type of work you’re looking to go into.
What we are looking for:
- You should be enthusiastic about your placement experience as a Bath student and able to produce a range of engaging content. You will need to be able to organise your time effectively to make sure you can produce your placement posts around your work commitments.
- An ability to offer an alternative or unique perspective on your placement experience would be a plus, as would any previous/current experience of social media, blogging or content creation.
- You may already be a keen content producer for your own accounts and have experience of creating engaging videos, reels, takeovers or photos.
How to apply:
To apply please complete the following:
1. Compose a blog post (max 500 words) based on your experience so far of being a Bath student. Rather than trying to write a broad post, you should aim to focus on one particular aspect of your experience at Bath so far. You can support your post with additional media (photos, videos, web links) as you see fit. Bath guidance for creating and writing blog posts.
2. Film a 1-minute vlog providing some background to you as a student - who you are, why you chose to study at Bath, what you are studying, and anything else you think is important.
Please send your completed blog post in a Word document, and video post as an email attachment, along with a short (max 300 words) supporting statement to email@example.com with a subject of ‘Application for HSS Placement Blogger role’.
The deadline for applying is Sunday 18 June 2023 (midnight).
If you have any questions about the role or applying you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: Consent from Placement Provider required. As a matter of priority, you must ensure that your placement provider consents to you keeping a placement blog. If they do not consent to this, you cannot take up this role. We suggest you request this as soon as possible, ideally even before applying for this position. A clear consent email from your employer is sufficient.