The Brexit transition has begun!

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

On the 1 February, the Brexit transition period will begin. Ahead of the future months of planning and negotiations, you might have a lot of questions on what your future in the UK will look like, and you must know your SU and your University will support you throughout your studies.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK before the end of 31 December 2020, you and your family can apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after this date without needing to obtain immigration permission.  The EU Settlement Scheme opened on 30 March 2019, and you have until 30 June 2021 to apply.

To obtain settled status you will need to have lived continuously in the UK for five years. If you have less than five years’ continuous residence at the point you apply, you will be eligible for pre-settled status. You can then apply for settled status after you have lived in the UK continuously for five years.

You are not be required to apply immediately, although you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.  If you do not apply before 30 June 2021, you may become subject to student immigration rules.

The Student Immigration Service offers EU settlement scheme appointments to help you and your family apply, and can provide a tablet device to apply with (which has the features required to scan your documents).  The Student Immigration Service also offer daily advice drop-in sessions.  Please see the information on the University webpages for further details about the EU Settlement Scheme including how to apply and getting support from the Student Immigration Service with your application.  

We strongly encourage you apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if you're eligible, make the most of the appointments in Student Services. The SU is also always here to support you through the Advice and Support Centre downstairs in the Student Centre. 


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.