For Test and Trace purposes, you will be required to sign-up for each session you intend to go to. These are first come, first serve, with a maximum of 24 per session. You can not attend multiple sessions on a single day. Sign up links can be found at the bottom of the page.
Wednesday 19:00 - 22:00 - Training
Thursday 17:00 - 19:00 - Training
Thursday 19:00-22:00 - Development Squad
These are taught by student and external coaches and are the perfect sessions for those new to fencing, wanting to start from the ground up. They will cover basic footwork and bladework skills, fitness, and eventually training in each weapon (see 'Introduction to Fencing' tab for details of the three weapons). If you are a complete novice to fencing these are the ideal sessions for you to attend. If you are unable to attend we will have slots in our general club open sessions available for beginners. The development squad is an oppurtunity to fence alongside the advanced fencers in their training. Some basic kit can be provided to you allowing you to train, however in order to fence you will need to have access to a full set of kit. We are working on a rental system for our club kit so that you do not need to buy it yourself.
Monday 19:00 - 22:00
Friday 16:00 - 22:00
These sessions are available to all SU Sports pass owners and club members. Here we will do footwork, general fitness, training, and free sparring against others if you have access to a full set of kit. These sessions are open to all abilities. If you are a beginner and cannot attend the training sessions, a casual fencer looking to get involved, or an advanced fencer looking for some practice, these are the sessions for you! For returning members, these will be run the same as in previous years, with reduced numbers.
Tuesday 21:00 - 22:00
Wednesday 16:00 - 19:00
Thursday 19:00 - 22:00
These sessions are reserved for members of a BUCS team or squad and are for those advanced fencers looking for sparring and fitness sessions geared towards high performance.
Pre-hab / Strength & Conditioning
These sessions are open to BUCS members, although we do have spaces for any non-BUCS members who wish to join. Sessions involve a rigorous and structured fitness session run by Bath Active coaches. If you wish to join please send us an email or talk to a committee member.
Click Here to view Signups
By signing up for a session you declare that:
- I am not experiencing any Covid-19 symptoms (listed below)
- New, persistent, dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- Muscle aches not related to sport/training
- I have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 4 weeks
- I have not had any known exposure to anyone with confirmed or suspected Covid-19 in the last two weeks (e.g. close contact, household member)
- I do not have any underlying health conditions which affects my immune system
- I acknowledge that if providing my own equipment this has been appropriately cleaned since last use.
- I will bring my own sanitiser and follow all hygiene protocols, including ensuring that on arrival I wash/sanitise my hands
- I agree to follow all instructions given by facility or club officials at the session
- I acknowledge that I may be contacted via my university email for test and trace purposes
- I have read and agree to the club COVID-19 briefing & rules detailed below
Attending a session:
- When travelling to the STV and salle, please wear a mask to cover both nose and mouth, and keep it on unless you are exercising/fencing (i.e. if you are resting, coaching or refereeing - wear a mask). It is highly recommended to bring your own hand sanitiser, but there will be sanitiser stations in the STV. The university and STV have a one-way system that you must follow, and you always should practice social distancing where possible. Toilets can be used but the changing rooms and all water fountains cannot (so bring plenty of water!).
- The salle has a maximum capacity of 24 people. You should again practice social distancing from everyone (even those in your household), by keeping all your bags and yourself 2 metres away from each other when observing/resting or warming up.
- Within the session you will be split into groups of a maximum of 6 people, of whom should be noted down. You can only fence members within these groups and you are not permitted to switch groups within or between sessions. The group also includes coaches where there are 1:1 or group training.
- On the piste, there should never be more than 4 people (including referees/bystanders) at a time. Running attacks/fleches and close-quarters/corps-a-corps should be avoided as far as possible. Fencers and referees should avoid shouting, and instead use hand signals. Bouts should be to 3x5 points or to 1x15 points, with a maximum fencing time of 10 minutes or total time of 15 minutes. Handshakes are now replaced with a salute. Sanitise your hands before and after touching a spool/fencing someone.
- If you need to borrow any kit, please let us know in advance as we must properly sanitise any shared equipment. Do not share any personal equipment. Aim to clean your personal equipment between every session.
Before signing up to a session all members must have filled in and signed the COVID-19 declaration, which can be found on our Microsoft Teams page.