Come And Meet Us
What We Do
The University of Bath Golf Club aims to get more people involved in golf at all levels whether that be through coaching, competitions or matches against other Universities.
Our aim is to get as many students playing and enjoying the benefits of golf during your time at the university of Bath. Whether you are an international player or have never picked up a golf club before we will ensure there is something to offer to all ranges of ability.
We have a squad (made up of a first and second team) which compete in both league and cup team events. There is also the opportunity to play in Individual events to earn the University valuable BUCS points. The first team currently play in the Southern Premier League, which is the top BUCS league. The second team is a relatively new team in BUCS and won the league in their first and previous (3rd) season. This team gives mid single figure golfers the opportunity to play for Bath.
1st's are in the southern premier side
- Players selected each week 8
2nd's have been promoted yet again
- Players selected each week 6
Join the Facebook page to keep up to date on information - https://www.facebook.com/groups/365374063530788/
When we are more aware of what we are able to do we will be hosting taster sessions and trials - relevant risk assessments and safety procautions will be taken.
What Golf Clubs are there to join?
Bath Golf Club:
- Lessons on a Wednesday for all abilities – this will still be £35 per individual and will hopefully guarantee a lesson most Wednesdays (weather permitting)
- Squad coaching with a PGA Pro every week
Kingsdown Golf Club:
- £249 - Kingsdown Golf Club is only a 25 min bus from Bath Bus Station (City Centre) (X72) or a 10 minute car journey.
As a squad we will be based at Bath Golf Club for the academic year 2020-2021. So please bare that in mind when deciding which club to join.
What are we doing as a society:
Squad and society S&C –
- This year we have requested use of founders hall so we can have squad or society wide S&C sessions that will be run by us and will be free of charge.
Beesting Championships -
- The Beesting Championships is a matchplay knockout event for everyone in ther society to take part in.
- Depending on entries there will be an 18 hole qualifying round in order to provide seeding for the subsequent knockout matches
- Entry = £2
- PRIZES TO BE WON
Aggregate Stableford/Weekly Stableford -
- This is something new that we will be trialling this year
- The idea is that every saturday you may go out and play in NON-QUALIFYING stableford with a group of whoever you chose
- You must then send your scores to either Chair or Secretary following each round
- The 'competition' will run over semester 1 if this is allowed
- 5 stableford scores must be posted by each indiviual and the best 3 will then count towards winning the event
- The individual with the most points from their 3 best rounds will be crowned the champion.
We also had the idea of ‘society days’ where a member of the society can bring someone to play in a university of bath golf comp for a reduced/subsidised rate - MORE INFO ON THIS WHEN WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE ALLOWED TO DO.
Virtual offer -
- In light of COVID we have had to create a virtual offer for you guys - this will take the form of:
- 3 or 4 zoom sessions with a person of interest talking about certain aspects of golf and their journey to get to where they are,
- Zoom/conference call watching the major events - or if allowed booking of a lecture hall so we can watch together at a safe and socially acceptable distance.
Coronavirus Changes and Updates:
Semester 1 Golf:
- This will run very different to previous years. As there is no certainty of joint travel and accommodation for league matches the league for semester 1 isn't going ahead.
What does this mean?
- No Wednesday matches for 2nds
- No Sunday matches for 1st
What have they suggested instead?
- A regional strokeplay event every Wednesday at the players own cost
- This means you pay golf soc fee, BUCS membership and then entry on top of this – costly
- They are open to all abilities and depending on the size of entry they will run two days back to back for different handicap abilities
Players selected to play in either of the teams will be required to pay the BUCS fee on top of your £36 membership fee. This entitles you to weekly swing coaching with Russell Covey at Bath Golf Club.
For non squad players, there is a £50 lessons fee on top of your £36 society fee (Great deal when a single lesson with a pro would cost £50!!). The coaching sessions will be held down at Bath Golf Club with a healthy mix of sessions on the driving range, the practice greens and some on-course play for top improvers. There will be a choice of three 1 hour lesson slots every Wednesday afternoon between 1:30 and 4:30 and which one you choose is entirely up to you. However, as a rule there will be a lesson slot for absolute beginners, one for intermediates and another for more experienced golfers.
Society membership can be purchased on this page. The BUCS fee will need to be purchased through the new BUCS play app (all squad members will need to have this before being able to represent the university).
For those who prefer the thrill of match play events - look out for the signups to the annual Bee Sting Championship. This is a scratch knockout tournament for anyone who wants to enter. (If there is enough demand we can also run a handicap knockout event alongside)
Few universities can boast a choice of high quality golf course and extremely low lesson prices. Take the opportunity and join up!
Reasons to Join Us
- Our regular social events can involve round of golf and competitions, pitch and putt in town, or just going to the pub together. There is plenty ways for everyone to get involved and meet other golfers.
- Choice of 2 incredible golf course to join at reduced rates. Bath GC is £365 and on your doorstep, and Kingsdown is only £249 and only a 25 minute direct bus.
- Weekly lessons every week for begginers and intermediates for only £35 a year.
- Weekly gym sessions, weekly coaching, as well as weekly matches for the 2 teams.