What We Do
The University of Bath Karate Club (UBKC) has been established at Bath for over 20 years. The club is a dynamic and successful club with a great social atmosphere. We are open to everyone, regardless of fitness, experience or gender.
Are you new to Karate?
The club mainly teaches a style of Karate called Wado-Ryu Karate. The club offers regular training in teaching the following:
- Techniques - blocks, strikes, punhces, kicks etc.
- Fitness - our Wednesday session is specific to fitness training.
- Confidence - performing katas (forms) or kumite (fighting) at competitions in front of people.
- Self-defence - how to control an attacker and defend yourself in the street.
- Experienced coaches are on hand to help guide you and teach you in learning and applying various techniques.
Are you returning to Karate?
If you are returning to karate after a sabbatical, please feel free to come along to our sessions!
The club has coaches from a variety of different styles including: Shotokan, Shito-Ryu and more.
As a diverse club, we ensure that training is flexible to allow you to learn new and different things from other members.
Check out our video page to see what Karate competitions are all about!!!
Everyone is here to not only learn a martial art and keep fit, but to meet new people from a variety of different backgrounds and different karate styles. The club holds regular socials to allow memebrs to socialise outside of training. The social atmosphere at training is friendly and everyone (new and current) is welcoming to all.
If you have any questions about the club, contact the committee (see our Committee page on how to get in touch!!)
Reasons to Join Us
- Learn a martial art, to get fit and to become more flexible in the process.
- Release some stress after a hard days work.
- Experienced and dedicated members including international level fighters and fitness coaching from Olympic decathletes.
- Represent Bath University in competitions across the UK.
- An active and friendly community.
- A great social atmosphere both at training and outside of training.
- Cheapest and most time accessible opportunity to learn a martial art.
- The safest nights out you will ever go on!
- Support readily available for you for whatever you want to achieve from becoming a part of the UBKC.
Come & Meet Us
Feel free to come along to any of our training sessions to come have a chat, watch the session and answer any of your questions:
Monday 5.00 pm - 6.45 pm STV Dojo
Wednesday 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Founders Hall
Friday 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm STV Hall
Saturday 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm STV Hall
Sunday 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm STV Dojo
If you can't catch us at training, just send one of the committee members a message (via email or Facebook) and we can arrange a meet up for a chat!