Want to start a new society?
Haven't found a group that interests you? No problem! Any student can apply to start an affiliated society. Applications generally open two time throughout the academic year. Updates for new affiliation requests will be posted here and on Facebook, so keep an eye out!
What do I need?
You'll need a few of your members to take on some key roles in your societies committee. Your Core Committee will consist of a Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. For all applications, Core Committee will need to be studying at the University during the following academic year.
Now you've got your core committee - you'll need a group of 30 students! Just get a list of their names and usernames.
How do I apply?
When applications go live you'll be able to access an application form via the link below. Within this there's some small sections that are required, including:
Your Mission Statement:
What is the core purpose of your society?
Your Aims and Objectives:
How is your society going to develop and continue to grow in years to come?
What activities and events will your society organise?
How do these events enrich the student community?Go to the application form
What happens next?
The Societies Exec will look at all applications based on the following criteria:
- is inclusive and provides a range of activities for its members
- provides sufficient personal development for its members
- is created for purposes other than arranging socials or making money
- activities will offer value for money and enhance the student experience
- is sustainable within the SU
- does not duplicate the efforts and activities of an existing group affiliated to Socs or another sub-group of the SU.
- activities do not conflict with the SU’s values, policies or legal obligations
If you are successful through the first stage of shortlisting, your society is asked to attend a Societies General Meeting to present a quick overview of your application!
Once affiliated, you'll be guided through the following steps by the Activities Officer and the rest of the Activities team.