Reasons to join Canoe Club
- We have three pool sessions per week, divided between coaching skills and canoe polo.
- We offer coaching for all levels; from aqua-phobic beginners to hyper-aquatic Gurus.
- Almost every weekend we run a trip. We've got trips across all disciplines including whitewater, surf, freestyle, slalom and canoe polo at a range of prices so there is something for everyone. Check out What We Do for a more detailed list of trips/events/competitons throughout the year!
- Socials! We host plenty of socials across the semesters and have online offerings too! Our usual highlights include: Cheese & Wine social, Army social and Pudding social! And of course, we're at Happy Hour every week, #4till8
So what are you waiting for... Become a member!!
- Check out our Teams, Facebook (Page and Group) and Instagram pages to get all the latest on trips, socials and sessions. You can also send us an email at email@example.com or a message on our FB page if you have any questions about these, we're more than happy to help :)
- Come to a taster session at the STV pool (they’re super fun and chilled we promise!) Before you can start paddling you'll need to do a quick swim test* (100m and 5 mins treading water), but it’s quick and you’ll soon be in a boat. *accessibility requirements can be considered for the swim test - please send us an email if you think you may need adjustments
- Buy the membership (just on the left!!). This year it's just £10! (SU Sports membership must also be bought for £30) Membership covers all pool and river sessions, socials and allows you to come on our legendary trips at a subsidised price.
We run 3 pool sessions a week, one of which is dedicated to the amazing game of canoe polo! You can check out our page dedicated to that here. Also keep an eye on our Facebook group for details of any taster sessions, or even feel free to have a chat with us about it! We try to go to the plug for a post-paddle chat so please come along and get to know what we look like outside of boats!
We run these most Wednesdays and some weekends! They will be run in groups (with social distancing) on the river Avon. We'll provide boats, paddles and other paddling kit as usual (although you'll need to bring your own wetsuit/wet kit). Should be lots of fun, with plenty of tricks to learn and the chance to paddle over the famous Pulteney Weir!
Happy Hour every Friday 4-8pm!
Check our Facebook group for the weekly Happy Hour post of the year and to find out where we will be for the next four hours! It’s our most regular social event, with no need to drink, a guaranteed sofa, and you can even bring along friends who don’t want to join (although we might try to change their mind...) Please get in touch with the Welfare Officer (Orla Douds) if you have questions.
South West Uni Canoe Polo League (SWUPL)
This is our regional league for canoe polo. It contains different brackets, so it's suitable for all skill levels, canoobie to expert. We'll be having sets of games with other universities on pretty much every weekend we have free throughout the year so look no further than this to scratch your competitive itch.
Upcoming Semester 1 Events:
- Pool Session Tasters! These are open to all ablities and we particularly encourage people new to kayaking! These are Monday 9-10pm, Tuesday 8-10pm and Thursday 9-10pm in Freshers Week and Week 1! We'll meet outside the STV 15 minutes before the seesion starts. You can also put the SU Sports Fair on Wednesday 29th September in your diary (we'll have a little stall by the lake and plenty of time to chat!)
- Our annual Freshers BBQ on Wednesday 6th October to introduce you to our river sessions! This involves a very chilled paddle along the river from our boathouse in the middle of town, followed by a BBQ! We'll provide boats, paddles and other paddling kit, as well as a range of BBQ options. Should be lots of fun, with plenty of paddling tricks to learn, burgers to eat, and even the chance to paddle over the famous Pulteney Weir! Keep an eye on our Facebook/Insta/Teams for times and further details!
- A range of socials! Open to everyone, these are a great time to cut loose and meet the club. Check our facebook group for details and times. Please get in touch with our Social Sec (Leah White) if you want more details!
- Polzeath, our best beach trip of the year. Will probably run at the end of the summer, so is a great trip for anyone wanting to be involved more next year.
- Our first canoe polo event of the year - Nottingham! This is a fantatsic trips for new members, as there's a large beginners league and the campsite is right next to the pitches!
Use this Club Calendar to check up on all our events coming up, trips and socials alike and to be able to add them to your calendar!