What we do!
There is so much happening over the year in every discipline of kayaking, from white water to competitive canoe polo to chilled beach trips. Check out our rough calendar below, of what trips are on when! (skip to the bottom for the best trip!)
- Polzeath - we head down to Cornwall for a few days to meet up with other univeristies from the South West for some awesome surf and a party.
- Paddlington Polo Tournament - this tournament is aimed at anyone new to paddling as an introduction to the awesome sport of CANOE POLO - check out our page dedicated to polo.
- Teifi Tour - One of the biggest kayaking festivals in the UK, Teifi Tour is an epic trip for those who like to party. This is held on the river Teifi in Wales which promises some great water for beginners and grade 4 for more experienced paddlers!
- Cheese and Wine - For many this is the highlight of November. As the cold evenings draw in we get together with lots of cheese and even more wine!
- Beginners Whitewater - After a month of learning how to paddle forwards we offer everyone the chance to get onto some easy white water, mostly likely in Dartmoor.
- South West Polo League - The inter-uni polo league will kick off in November, with fixtures through the year at Bristol Docks against friendly rivals including Exeter, Bristol, Swansea and Cardiff. We field an Open, Ladies and B team, so there is a chance for everyone to bring out their competitive side!
- Snow Ball - This is not just one event. In canoe club we like to do things properly, the day of the Christmas ball includes a club meal, girl and guy time, into town for cocktails and finally Snow Ball.
- Trip to the Canoe and Kayak store to stock up on all the kayaking goodies you want for Christmas.
- Exams, BOOO :( We run all our usual pool sessions in this period to provide some de-stressing!
- The Inter Semester Break Trip - this trip is probably the second-best trip of the whole year. Following exams, there is a week long break, in which we take the opportunity to get to some of the best whitewater across the UK. Previous trips have included to North Wales, the Lake District and Dartmoor.
- BUCS Slalom - BUCS is the biggest inter uni competition held nationally. On this trip, we head up to Teeside to take on the challenge of slalom, a technical sport that is explained here.
- Pudding Social - Hallelujah, praise the cheesecake! Basically we all eat a lot of cake and brownies and ice-cream for a whole social.
- National Student Rodeo - the biggest student-only kayaking festival possibly in the world. Loads of unis come together for the most epic party and freestyle competition in Nottingham, open to every level of paddler.
- Cardiff Uni Canoe Polo (CUCP) tournament - this trip is ideal preparation for the BUCS polo competition the following month.
- Elections! Time flies when your year is actually only 8 months and in March we open elections for nominations to join committee and vote.
- BUCS Polo - the whole polo year leads up to its conclusion at BUCS. This year we entered an Open, Ladies and B team and achieved our highest ranking in the last five years!
- Trip to Cardiff Whitewater Centre - For those who need a whitewater fix after the main season, we run a trip to CIWW.
- Woolacombe - one of our best loved trips of the whole year. In 2018 more than 30 of us met at Woolacombe on our annual beach trip for kayak surfing, barbequing, English breakfasts, sandcastles, warm weather camping, crazy golf...
ALPS TRIP! The Alps trip is the highlight of the year for many people. We spend two weeks in the South of France enjoying the sunshine, spectacular whitewater and company of about ten other uni kayaking groups that head to the same place.