Canoe Polo is a high energy sport that combines paddling, ball skills and tactical play. Not only is it a sociable and fun sport to play but it also helps to improve your paddling skills. We go to loads of fixtures and tournaments throughout the year and run training sessions every week in the STV pool. Check the video below from BUCS polo to see what it's all about. Any questions ask our polo rep or polo captains.
How to get involved
- Team training - Tuesday Pool, 8-10 in STV Pool. Sessions are split as an hour for beginners/B team and an hour for open/ladies team.
- Southwest League - In 2016 Bath initiated the South West Universities Polo league. This is a league-style tournament between six South-West universities held at Bristol Docks. If you're looking for a cheap, one-day trip, this is ideal. See below for more details!
- Nottingham Polo Tournament - In October, Nottingham organises an inter-university competition aimed at getting freshers and beginners into polo - no experience needed!
- Varsity - In February, we hold a varsity match against Exeter University in our own STV pool.
- Cardiff University Canoe Polo - After the cold of winter Cardiff University organises CUCP - excellent practise for upcoming BUCS!
- BUCS Polo - The year concludes with BUCS Polo, the biggest competition in Canoe Polo in which we represent Bath to help win BUCS points.
- Friendlies - Throughout the year, we host and attend friendlies particularly with Bristol and Exeter.
Our Regular Teams
Open Team (Bubble Bath)
B Team (Mighty Ducks)
Ladies Team (Bath Bombs)
In 2016, we saw the magnificent creation of the Southwest Universities Canoe Polo Leagues by our then-polo rep. In 2016/17 Bath, Bristol, UWE, Exeter and Swansea competed in the inaugural Open, B and Ladies league and was hugely successful in increasing polo participation and competition.
The league has since evolved to be held solely at Bristol docks and this year (2023) is being competed by Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea, Birmingham and Exeter.
Rules and Tactics
2019 BCU Rulebook Basic Paddling Skills
2019 ICF Rulebook Basic Ball Skills
2019-20 South West League rules Defence