What We Do
Jiu Jitsu is a medieval Japanese martial art, with a strong focus on quick and effective self-defense from armed and unarmed attackers. We apply the art through a set of throws, joint locks and strikes to use an assailant's energy against them.
Training is done through situations to simulate a range of situations from warding off unwanted harassment to a series of armed aggressors, at higher grades. A knowledge of jitsu can be applied practically in real life, whether it's through real fighting scenarios or just improving one's confidence while walking home in the dark. Come along and give it a try!
The vast majority of our members start training in Jiu Jitsu for the first time at university. All students at the university are welcome at the club, and we will try our best to accommodate you whatever your needs!
Check out the video below to see some of the stuff we do!:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us via our email (email@example.com), or on our facebook page, or our twitter! Also follow us on Instagram @bathunijitsu for updates on our club!
Reasons to Join Us
- Great social life - We go to the pub after every training session and many of us have our closest friends in the club. We also have regular socials!
- Self defence - We'll teach you how to defend yourself with and from strikes, throws and grappling. You'll also learn how to defend yourself from various weapons and multiple attackers.
- Fun training sessions - Everyone has fun learning and improving our skills in one of the biggest Jitsu dojos in the country.
- Confidence - Learning jitsu will build one's confidence and self-esteem, teaching you to keep a cool head and defuse aggressive situations you might encounter.
- Fitness - Regular training can help to improve strength, fitness, flexibility, co-ordination and posture.
- No experience necessary - You don't need to have done a martial art before to join us. Most of our members take up jiu jitsu for the first time at university, so come along and try something new!
- If you've done another martial art before - Jitsu complements numerous other martial arts very well, enhancing your ability to defend yourself.
Come & Meet Us
We train in the STV Dojo (Down the STV stairs, through the barriers and to the left) 4 times a week, at the following times:
Tuesdays 1-2pm - Fitness session
Wednesdays 8-10pm - General session
Fridays 6-8pm - General session
Saturdays 3.30-5.30pm - General session
Come and try out Jitsu! Turn up to a session in loose clothing (such as tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt) or email our committee for more information. Your first two weeks will be free!