Connect with us
What Do We Do?
Jiu Jitsu is a medieval Japanese martial art, with a strong focus on quick and effective self-defense from armed and unarmed attackers. We apply the art through a set of throws, joint locks and strikes to use an assailant's energy against them.
Training is done through situations to simulate a range of situations from warding off unwanted harassment to a series of armed aggressors, at higher grades. A knowledge of jitsu can be applied practically in real life,
whether it's through real fighting scenarios or just improving one's confidence while walking home in the dark.
The vast majority of our members start training in Jiu Jitsu for the first time at university. All students at the university are welcome at the club, and we will try our best to accommodate you whatever your needs!
Starting from this year we are running Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sessions. BJJ is a martial arts based on Grappling, Groundfighting, and Submission holds. These sessions will be run seperately to Japanese Jiu Jitsu so feel free to go to either or both! We are eager for new members
Have any questions? Feel free to reach out to us!
Want to know more?
Do you want to know more about what our club does and what we can teach you? You can visit The Jiu Jitsu Foundation website for more information!
Check out our club intro video below:
Reasons to Join Us
- Great social life - We go to the pub after every training session and many of us have our closest friends in the club. We also have regular socials!
- Self defence - We'll teach you how to defend yourself with and from strikes, throws and grappling. You'll also learn how to defend yourself from various weapons and multiple attackers.
- Fun training sessions - Everyone has fun learning and improving our skills in one of the biggest Jitsu dojos in the country.
- Confidence - Learning jitsu will build one's confidence and self-esteem, teaching you to keep a cool head and defuse aggressive situations you might encounter.
- Fitness - Regular training can help to improve strength, fitness, flexibility, co-ordination and posture.
- No experience necessary - You don't need to have done a martial art before to join us. Most of our members take up jiu jitsu for the first time at university, so come along and try something new!
- If you've done another martial art before - Jitsu complements numerous other martial arts very well, enhancing your ability to defend yourself.
Left: Randori Nationals 2020 - Right: End of Year Social 2019
Come & Meet Us
We train in the STV Dojo, 2 times a week at the following times:
- Wednesdays @ 8-9:30pm
- Fridays @ 6-8pm
Come and try out Jitsu! Turn up to a session in loose clothing (such as tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt) or email our committee for more information. Your first two weeks will be FREE!