Want to start a new society?
Got an idea for something new and different? Any student can apply to start a society!
What do I need to start a new society?
You'll need a few of your members to take on some key roles in your society's committee. Each society requires a minimum of three committee members consisting of a Chair, Treasurer and any other roles you'd like. For all applications, the core committee will need to be studying at the University during the whole academic year (not be on placement).
What do you want to do:
What is the main purpose of your society?
Your Aims and Objectives:
How is your society going to develop and continue to grow in years to come?
What activities and events will your society organise? How do these events enrich the student community?
How do I apply?
Applications for the academic year 23-24 have closed. Will reopen summer 2024.
What happens next?
The Activities Officer and Activities Executive Committee will review all applications based on the following criteria:
- your society is inclusive and provides a range of activities for its members
- provides sufficient personal development for its members
- is created for purposes other than arranging socials or making money
- activities will offer value for money and enhance the student experience
- is sustainable within the SU
- does not duplicate the efforts and activities of an existing group affiliated to Socs or another sub-group of the SU
- activities do not conflict with the SU’s values, policies or legal obligations
Once affiliated, you'll be guided through the following steps by the Activities Officer and the rest of the Activities team.