What we do
Bath STAR (Student Action for Refugees) aims to support all refugees and asylum seekers in the local community through volunteering, campaigning, and raising awareness on refugee issues. We are part of the national STAR network, a charity which helps refugees at universities across the UK.
Here's how you can get involved
- Volunteer as a homework helper. We are hoping to begin a homework club for local refugee students on a weekly, term-time basis. We are also interested in befriending, English language teaching, and are always open to other volunteering ideas as long as the refugee community agrees to them, but for now we want to start small and do one thing really well. We will be collaborating with local charities as well to provide this.
- Attend talks and seminars by local refugees, field workers, and researchers who can portray the trials of those who seek refuge in the country and can help educate and inform. If you have an idea for an event like this, speak to a member of the committee pronto!
- Participate in campaigns for local and national change, e.g. Our Turn, Equal Access, Freedom from Torture, among others.
- Help with fundraising! We hope to hold fundraising events throughout the year, including bake sales and film nights. As the STAR network is a charity, we are dedicated to raising money to support their excellent work and that of other worthy charities. All money collected from our fundraisers goes to charity!
- Come and hang out! We will be organising socials and get-togethers for like-minded people who want to support refugees and work to make our society more accepting of those who need our help.