Hi! I’m James Kenny and I would like to be your next Education Officer. I’ve enjoyed my time here at Bath, but there are many things that can be improved and I believe students should DEMAND MORE from their education.
As Education Officer, I will tackle the following issues:
One of the most severe issues at Bath is overcrowding. Study space is at breaking point and students are bearing the brunt of a housing crisis. To help overcome this, I will:
- Work with my fellow officers to contest the unchecked increase in taught postgraduate student numbers until we have sufficient study space for everybody.
- Liaise with BUCS to create a database of free rooms at any given time and make this available to students online. This will significantly help at exam times, when the library is consistently full.
- Continue to work with the university in order to help develop the Manvers Street building into study space easily accessible to students in the city.
Our exam system needs to be more transparent and fairer for everybody. To achieve this, I will:
- Introduce marking guidelines for departments to follow when marking written exams, reducing inconsistency between markers.
- Work with departments to introduce personalised exam feedback and allow students to view their exam scripts with this feedback through SAMIS.
I believe that the SU should communicate better with students. SU officers should be more accessible, and the SU more transparent, to students. I will:
- Hold weekly drop-in sessions in accessible places such as the Plug and Tub where you can speak to me face-to-face about issues that matter to you.
- Improve the transparency of the University decision-making process through regular social media and face-to-face updates to students.
- Work closely with academic and faculty reps to ensure that your views are represented at every level of the University and beyond.
- Oversee the SSLC system to ensure that it is delivering the best for every student, regardless of their department or course.
- Collaborate with the new Postgraduate Officer to ensure that postgraduate students have an equal opportunity to have their voices heard.
- Liaise with the university’s diversity and support groups in order to help overcome the issues that affect underprivileged students in order to make the university a fairer, more equal place.
I believe that I am the right person to bring about these improvements because I am not afraid to fight on your behalf. I have already helped secure a huge victory for students by participating in the working group which successfully fought the proposed academic calendar changes last year.
This is YOUR University and YOUR Union. YOU are paying £9,000 per year or more to come to Bath, and YOU deserve an education worth the money. YOU always have the right to DEMAND MORE from your education.
For more information, see “Kenny for Education” on Facebook.
Contact me on the campaign page or come and chat to me in person.
VOTE KENNY. DEMAND MORE.