Be the Change
Be The Change is a university-wide initiative that aims to tackle all forms of harassment on campus. All student leaders are encouraged to complete these two modules so you can be positive role models and create a welcoming group for your members.
Go to Tackling Harrassment module
Go to Active Consent module
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Foundations
This online course has been designed by University of Bath students to provide a foundation to equality, diversity and inclusion. In the six online modules, you will reflect up and address biases and consider how to be an ally to marginalised groups.
Go to the course
This is a free 6-hour online learning course by Santander Universities in partnership with The Open University and FutureLearn. Challenge racial myths and biases in Britain through the lens of Black cultures, then develop your commitment to lasting change.
Go to the course
Creating accessible resources
If you are creating resources for use in your student leader role, it's important to make them accessible. In this video, students from the University of Technology Sydney explained why accessible resources are important.
Some other useful tips for creating accessible resources:
- Format your text to make it easier to read.
- Use styles to highlight headings and create sections in your text that are easier to follow for screen readers.
- Use contrasting colours for text and background.
- Left-align text to make it easier to find the start and end of lines.
- Use bold to emphasise key points, rather than CAPITALS, italics or underlining.
- Put full stops and the end of bullet points.
- Add alternate text when adding pictures to your documents or webpages.
- Use an accessibility checker - Microsoft has an inbuilt checker under the review tab.
- If you share a poster on social media, make sure the key information (dates, times, locations, etc.) is in the description as well, or clearly linked to on a website.
Our student body is made up of various student demographics who may experience barriers to involvement in certain events and activities. The Inclusivity Award helps you be an inclusive student leader, creating lasting, cultural changes to tackle these barriers, so inclusivity is embedded in everything you do. Being an inclusive student leader also allows you to reach a more diverse range of students, from a wider range of backgrounds, bringing new ideas and ways of thinking.
Go to Inclusivity Award page